Changes in Dues & Scout Accounts
I’m Dave Garin, ten.tsacmocnull@evad_namrebmun, Troop 88’s Treasurer. I wanted to make you aware as a committee the Troop will be making some changes to dues structure starting effective immediately. The new policies are as follows:
· Monthly Dues have been eliminated. Instead the dues will be $60 annual due on February 1st (or prorated based on join date) or as an option dues can be paid quarterly at a rate of $25 which will be due February 1st, May 1st, August 1st, and November 1st.
- · All new registrations and transfer scouts will be required to pay dues and registrations at the time they join.
- · To be re-chartered with the Troop registration fees will also be due on February 1st. I believe this will remain the same as last year of $15 ($27 if boys life is added), but I will let you know for sure when we get closer to registration.
- · All scouts who currently have unpaid dues will need to have one of three things happen. Either by next meeting (September 20th) pay the dues by cash, check, or request a deduction from your scout account. If no request is made I will automatically deduct dues from the scout accounts after next meeting. If no payment is received and no money is available in the scout accounts the scouts will lose their privileges for earning merit badges, rank advancements, and attending Troop activities, such as camping.
- Prior to requesting a Scoutmaster conference/Board of Review the boys will be required to visit me first to have me initial their book. If they do not have their books signed off as being in good standing with the troop they will not be permitted to advance.
I know this seems a little harsh, but we have been having problems receiving timely payments and ultimately the administration has become excessive and unsustainable so these changes are necessary. Troop 88 is an extremely strong troop with a top notch program. We want to make sure this program can continue at or exceed current levels for the years to come. So in advance I appreciate your cooperation and understanding.
As a reminder Troop 88 has four active fundraisers to help you meet these financial obligations. Popcorn sales are going on currently for the next few weeks. Last year our boys made $3,640 last year off just popcorn sales. Wreath sales will also be starting up shortly and last year put $525 in the pockets of our boys. As always King Soopers cards are available and reward the scouts at a rate of 5% of purchases at King Soopers on a monthly basis. Our boys have earned about $650 a month on King Soopers so far this year. Let’s of course not forget House of Fear. The boys will have an option for either community service hours or their time to be as a fundraiser. We had 3 other fundraisers this year that our boys earned a total of $3,043. That totals to fundraisers that went directly to scout accounts for the last 12 months of approximately $15,000 (That’s $150 per boy on average). Troop 88 does fundraisers almost entirely for the benefit of our boys so they will have no problems paying for dues or camps. Take advantage of these opportunities and teach your boys they can pay their own way. It’s a life lesson that they will thank you for later.
Treasurer, Troop 88